Reform for Illinois is a nonpartisan research and advocacy organization that empowers the public to participate in government, addresses the role of money in politics, and promotes integrity, accountability, and transparency in our political system. To achieve this mission, we support:
- Making elections more competitive by introducing fair, sensible limits on individual, corporate, and union contributions, and transfers from other political committees.
- Enhancing equity and representation in elections with programs like public campaign financing, which empower diverse candidates to run competitive campaigns without relying on party connections, megadonors, special interests, or personal wealth.
- Mandating timely and full disclosure of lobbying activities, public officials’ economic interests, campaign contributions and expenditures, and other matters related to public business and the use of public resources.
- Removing politics from how legislative districts are drawn to eliminate gerrymandering that protects incumbents and benefits a particular political party.
- Encouraging fair, substantive campaigns by promoting compliance with Illinois’ Code of Fair Campaign Practices, developing nonpartisan, state-sponsored voter education guides, and encouraging improved media coverage of campaign issues.
- Reforming Illinois’ broken referendum rules so the people can effect change when their representatives won’t.
- Supporting an informed and engaged electorate by providing educational forums and trusted, nonpartisan research.
Reform for Illinois approaches issues through:
- Legislative advocacy
- Litigation with courts and administrative processes
- Public engagement through events and the media
Each year, Reform for Illinois works with officials on key reform initiatives at the state and local level.